Sunday 18 June 2017, 14.00, Foresters Park

Hearts Ladies against Tayside Ladies in the Scottish Women’s Cup Second Round.

A change of venue for Hearts Ladies from their usual home at Dalkeith Thistle’s Kings Park, with Tranent Juniors hosting the cup tie.  The Hearts Ladies Development side usually play their home games at Foresters Park, so a few of the team are used to the different surroundings.  The pitch looked in great shape given it was at the season’s end.

The Scottish Women’s Premier League side got their league form back on track the previous weekend with a 6-0 home win against East Fife to consolidate fourth place.

Hearts entered the cup competition at the second round stage.

Tayside Ladies were founded in 2013 and have come a long way in their short history.  2014 saw them finish runners-up in the East/Central Second Division as well as reaching the semi-final of the League Cup.

The following year saw promotion to the SWFL First Division North and they finished in 9th, eight points clear of relegation.  They sat 9th in the twelve team league as they approached the game against Hearts.

Tayside beat Montrose 4-2 in the preliminary round before winning 3-1 against Linlithgow Rose in the first round proper.

It was a baking hot day and around 70 turned up to watch.

Paterson played a good ball up the right for Kidd in 5 minutes, but she had strayed beyond the Tayside defence and was given offside.

In 8 minutes, Moultray hit a great crossfield pass to Hutchison on the left and she ran into the Tayside box and hit a shot which came back off the post.  Carse was quickest to react and side footed home to give Hearts the lead.


A long ball down the left by Dolan in 9 minutes saw Tayside win a corner.  The ball was cleared and Hearts broke quickly with Walkingshaw found Carse on the left.  She cut the ball back for Dodds, but her shot was blocked.

Reilly played a clever ball in behind Deubel for Kidd in 11 minutes as Hearts came forward again.  From a tight angle Kidd shot for goal and Millar turned it around the post.  A cut back to waiting team mates in the middle may have been a better idea.


Carse ran onto a through ball which was played over the head of Tayside’s Sturrock in 12 minutes and she took the ball on and finished coolly past Millar for her and her team’s second.


A minute later and Pagliarulo played a pass down the right for Kidd who sent over a great cross into the Tayside box where Carse met the ball for a rare headed goal and her hat-trick.


Another ball through the Tayside defence by Walkingshaw in 14 minutes looked for Hutchison, but Millar was out quickly to clear.

Tayside were playing a very high line and Hearts were frequently playing passes in behind the defence.  Although the offside trap was working at times, the home side were getting a lot of opportunities.

Walkingshaw passed down the left for Carse in 17 minutes and her cross into the Tayside box came to Kidd, but Deubel managed to block.

The same combination tried again in 18 minutes, with Carse running onto Walkingshaw’s pass, but with Hutchison free in the middle, her cross was blocked.

A ball into the Tayside box in 19 minutes bounced up and hit the hand of Brady.  She stopped knowing what had happened before she cleared the ball.  The referee gave the penalty.  A bit harsh perhaps as she certainly didn’t mean it.  Walkingshaw made no mistake from the spot.


Hutchison was a bit short with a pass back to Watson in 22 minutes, but the Hearts keeper was out quickly to clear from the feet of Scanlon.

A great ball from Walkingshaw in 25 minutes picked out Carse on the left for Hearts and she ran in on goal before curling a shot wide of the far post.

Dodds was buzzing away up front for Hearts and giving the Tayside defence no peace on the ball.

A lovely moment in 27 minutes as Hearts captain Paterson went to play a ball on the touchline, but saw it run out before she passed it forward.  In frustration, she shouted “That’s fucking pish!”  Her mother, nearby, said “Language Megan, you’ll get no tea”.  As I struggled to contain my laughter she followed up with “I didn’t bring her up to swear like that.”

A good pass from Paterson in 29 minutes picked out Kidd, who played the ball on to Dodds on the right.  She played the ball across the Tayside goal where Hutchison ran in at the far post, but saw her shot hit the outside of the post.

Kidd put a great cross into the Tayside box from near the corner flag in 30 minutes and Hutchison rose to head home and make it 5-0.


In 33 minutes, Carse won the ball from McLaren and had a go from 25 yards and saw her shot hit the top of the Tayside bar before going over.

Hearts came forward again in 34 minutes and Reilly played the ball through for Dodds.  She played it to Hutchison in the box who passed left to Carse.  She picked out Walkingshaw on the edge of the box who hammered the ball into the net to make it six.


Black got a glimpse of the Hearts goal in 35 minutes, but Moultray got across to deflect her shot wide.  Black took the corner which seemed to come off the hands of Kidd at the front post, but no penalty was given.


Hearts went straight up the other end and Dodds fed Reilly, but Millar saved her shot.

Walkingshaw played the ball to Hutchison on the left in 40 minutes and she played it to Carse.  From around 20 yards she shot for goal, but again saw it come off the top of the bar.

With two minutes to the break Hutchison played the ball to the front post for Dodds, but Millar was out quickly to block at her feet.  She seemed to get a bang in the face as she did so.


Hearts six in front at half time and they had played some great football.  Tayside were trying hard but were struggling to curtail the incessant Hearts attacks.

In the first minute of the second half, Paterson looked to play the ball forward for Hearts but miskicked and the ball went high in the air.  With everyone standing watching as it spun back, Dodds pounced on it and raced into the Tayside box before shooting into the corner for Hearts seventh.


A good strike from Reilly from 22 yards went narrowly wide of the Tayside goal in 49 minutes with Millar a spectator.

Tayside broke in 52 minutes and Scanlon passed wide to Black.  She did well to get past Scott on the by-line, but Paterson was there to clear her cross.

A nice ball in behind the Tayside defence in 53 minutes by Walkingshaw picked out Hutchison, but she shot straight at Millar.

Dodds was next to play the ball through the Tayside defence and Carse ran onto it and finished with ease for her fourth of the afternoon and Hearts’ eighth.


Hutchison ran down the left for Hearts in 58 minutes and gave the ball to Carse.  Rather than go herself she looked for Dodds to her right, but the pass was intercepted and cleared.  Carse won the ball back immediately and looked for Dodds again, but Millar was out quickly to smother.


Black did well for Tayside on the right in 59 minutes and cut inside from the right before going past Scott, but her shot at goal lacked power and it was easy for Watson.

With Hearts making four substitutions all at once on the hour mark, they had the decency to take one K Reilly off and put another one on to make things a lot easier to write up.

Reilly played the ball through for fellow sub Stevens in 61 minutes, but the flag went up.

In 63 minutes, Stevens won a header and ran onto the ball herself.  Although she was clean through, the referee brought play back for a foul to Hearts.  It was baffling why advantage wasn’t played.

Hearts’ Miller took the ball forward on the right in 67 minutes and burst into the box, but Millar blocked her shot.


With 68 minutes gone, Hutchison was through on the left for Hearts.  She cut the ball back to Stevens, but from inside the 6 yard box, she saw her shot saved by Millar.

Walkingshaw ran onto a Reilly pass in 70 minutes but was foiled by a good Millar save.  The ball ran to Stevens who fired home to make it 9.


A good ball forward by Black in 72 minutes saw Scanlon get the better of Paterson, but as she ran through on goal, the Hearts defender made a fine recovery with a magnificent tackle to take the ball away.


Up the other end a minute later and Carse waltzed round a defender before slotting home.  Double figures for Hearts and Carse’s fifth.


Walkingshaw had a go from distance in 78 minutes, but Millar held the ball well in the Tayside goal.

With both teams really starting to struggle with the energy sapping temperature, Tayside really could have done without Sturrock being forced to limp off with no substitutes available.

Reilly found Hutchison through on the Tayside goal in 84 minutes but with just Millar to beat, she blasted over the bar.


With three minutes left Hearts broke forward and had four against one.  Carse took it round the defender and smashed home her sixth goal.


Just before the end Hutchison was clean through once again, but this time sent her shot straight at the keeper.  She let out a yell of frustration, but at least she got it on target that time.  To be fair to Hutchison, she seemed completely unaffected by the conditions and was still running at full pelt in the final minute.


A very professional performance by Hearts who continued to play good football throughout.  Huge credit to Tayside who played with great spirit and unity right up to the final whistle and genuinely seemed to enjoy their experience.  I’m sure they will continue to improve with that attitude.

Some great performances by Hearts players with Pagliarulo, playing back in defensive midfield after filling in at centre half in previous weeks, having a fine game.  Walkingshaw passed the ball very well and was ably assisted by Kirsten Reilly.  The defence looked solid and it was impossible to ignore the six goals scored by Carse (including a header).

For Tayside, Black looked good and Dolan put in a lot of effort.  It was encouraging to see how they changed positions as the game unfolded, with McLaren going to right back and Sturrock into midfield after Carse was giving the latter a difficult time in the first half.  Deubel went to right back in the second half, with McLaren moving to the left.

Full Time: Hearts Ladies 11 Tayside Ladies 0

Admission: Free

Hearts Ladies: 1 Ashley Watson, 9 Kara Kidd (Miller 60), 4 Louise Moultray (Kawana-Waugh 79), 6 Megan Paterson, 2 Hannah Scott (Simmons 60), 16 Danni Pagliarulo, 17 Stacey Hutchison, 8 Kirsten Reilly (Reilly 60), 7 Rachel Walkingshaw, 12 Jennifer Dodds (Stevens 60), 10 Ashley Carse. Subs: 3 Jayden Simmons, 14 Lynsay Miller, 15 Tiffany Kawana-Waugh, 5 Georgia Hunter, 18 Katie Reilly, 19 Kazya Stevens.

Tayside Ladies: 1 Nadine Millar, 11 Aimee Sturrock, 15 Shannon Brady, 5 Vicky McGregor, 8 Lotte Deubel, 7 Chloe Sturrock, 3 Maegen Cromar, 16 Paige Dolan, 13 Cara Black, 18 Jade McLaren, 10 Ellie Scanlon.

Referee: Louise Moffat

Programme: None.