Saturday 10 June 2017, 14.30, Creamery Park

The final of the East of Scotland Cup between Tranent Juniors and Bonnyrigg Rose held at the home of Bathgate Thistle.

Tranent came into the game buoyed by their midweek win in the Fife and Lothians Cup which saw them lift their first trophy in nearly 40 years.  Their fans would have been hoping that the celebrations had been curtailed sufficiently by the players to perform in another final so soon after.

Tranent had a difficult run to reach the final, knocking out Fauldhouse United, Dundonald Bluebell and Broxburn Athletic on penalties, as well as Bo’ness United and Dundee North End, with all but the latter being in the league above them.

Goalkeeper Murray Jackson had regained fitness and replaced Pucko in goal who was unfortunate to lose his place.  Manson and Smith also came into the starting line up with Waters and Jamie Paterson dropping the bench.

While Tranent were walking off with silverware during the week, Rose were at Musselburgh Athletic in the semi-final to secure their place in this final.  It wasn’t looking great for them after losing an early goal and still being behind at half time, but they ran out 3-1 winners in the end.

Rose made one change from their semi with McIntosh starting ahead of Jamieson.

Rose’s memorable season where they reached the Junior Cup semi-final, the Scottish Cup Fourth Round, and finished second in the Superleague had not produced a trophy and they were keen to get their hands on this one.

Rose reached the final by beating Downfield, Carnoustie Panmure, Kelty Hearts on penalties and then the aforementioned Musselburgh.

Bonnyrigg’s long season had seen a number of injuries and Stewart and Hoskins on the bench were both not fit enough to play.

It was disappointing that there was no programme available at the game.  Although one of the finalists wasn’t known until the Wednesday night and several of those who may have done something could have been on holiday, a final deserves one.

As usual, Creamery Park was looking in great condition despite it being the end of the season.

Another big crowd turned up to see who would win the cup.

The Rose players looked relaxed before kick off as they warmed up in front of us, with Kerr Young singing along enthusiastically to the music coming from the tannoy.

Kidd took a Rose throw in the first minute and gave it to Brett inside the Tranent box who laid the ball off to McIntosh.  His shot looked to be blocked by the hands of Kerr, but nothing was given.


Kerr did well a minute later using his strength to prevent McIntosh running onto a through ball.

Paterson raced into the Rose box in the fifth minute and went down under the challenge of Brett, but the referee wasn’t interested.

In 7 minutes Paterson was brought down by Turner as he was about to shoot from around 22 yards out.  Turner was shown the yellow card.  Paterson took the kick himself and saw Andrews make a fine save to turn it around the post.


McGachie made some space for himself in 9 minutes and shot for goal near the edge of the Tranent box.  His effort was parried by Jackson and Wojtowycz completed the clearance.

A clever reverse ball by Gray sent McIntosh free on the left in 11 minutes, but the flag went up.  He didn’t look offside.

Fisher got the ball to Hawkins in the Rose box in 12 minutes, but his attempted cutback was snuffed out.

Tranent were closing down very well, as they had in the other final.

Wojtowycz crossed into the Rose box in 16 minutes and Fisher stabbed at the ball, but it ran just wide of the post.  The linesman had put his flag up in any case.

Turner let out a scream of pain as he was tackled by Todd near the corner flag in 17 minutes and stayed down.  He signalled to the bench that he would have to come off, but with Jamieson about to come on, he was back up and running again.


A Bonnyrigg corner in 19 minutes was taken by Nelson and saw Moyes get his head to it.  The ball seemed to come off the hand of Todd as it clipped the bar on the way over.


Todd was lucky to escape a booking after a bad tackle on McIntosh on the touchline in 20 minutes.  Nelson’s free kick into the Broxburn box saw Young’s glancing header go not too far wide of the far post.


Tranent broke forward in 22 minutes and Miller found some space on the left, but his cross was cut out by Moyes.

The Rose players were particularly unhappy with the referee when Todd fouled McIntosh again in 24 minutes and was still not shown a card.


In 27 minutes, McGachie was tackled in the Broxburn box.  Gray passed back to the corner of the box where Brett narrowly missed the angle of the post and bar with his shot.

Some fine football from Bonnyrigg in 32 minutes saw them reach the Tranent box with some quick passing, but Kidd lashed over the bar.

A minute later and Brett crossed to the back post where McIntosh and Kerr went for the ball in the air.  Inexplicably, Kerr’s hand went up and played the ball, giving the referee no doubt that it was a penalty.  Although there were protests from Tranent, it was hard to see them having a case.


Kidd stepped up to fire the penalty into the net, although Jackson did get a hand to it.


Some Bonnyrigg supporters nearby started the “give me a ‘B’” chant.

A fast break by Tranent in 42 minutes saw Manson play the ball to Paterson, who passed to Fisher on the left side of the Rose box.  He curled a low shot into the far corner past Andrews for a fine equaliser.


A Tranent fan had a solo pitch invasion in celebration but was quickly ushered off the pitch by player/co-manager Smith.


All square at the break.  Similar to the Fife and Lothians Cup Final, Tranent had ceded possession to their higher league opponents in the first half, without being under the cosh and still looked dangerous going forward.  Bonnyrigg had a lot of the ball, but not many clear sights of goal.

McGachie stole the ball from Wojtowycz near the corner flag in the opening minute of the second half then went past Kerr on the by-line, but his cutback was cleared.

Bonnyrigg came forward again in 49 minutes and Gray played the ball to Turner on the right.  His ball into the box was fired high into the net by McIntosh, but the linesman signalled he was in an offside position.


Rose looked to stay in control at the start of the half with McIntosh finding McGachie in 50 minutes, who played the ball back to him and he tried a low shot which was deflected and cleared off the line by Wojtowycz.

A Bonnyrigg free kick in 54 minutes was cleared, but when the ball was played back in and bounced over everyone, Moyes ran in to shoot. It was too close to Jackson.

Brett was shown a yellow card in 57 minutes after a foul on Tranent’s Miller, then showing dissent after the decision.

Miller joined him in the book a minute later for a foul on Smith at half way.  Horne’s free kick was headed across the box by Nelson, but Young shot over the bar.

A Tranent ball into the box in 61 minutes saw Manson get in front of a defender then take a touch to set himself up, but he fired wide.


Wojtowycz took a Tranent corner in 64 minutes and it was headed back out to him by Horne.  He crossed into the box and picked out Todd who was all alone inside the 6 yard box, but he somehow nodded wide.


Fisher found Paterson in the Rose box in 74 minutes, but Andrews did well to save with his foot.

There was a blow for Tranent in 75 minutes when Fisher had to come off with what looked like a hamstring pull.

Some good passing down the right by Bonnyrigg in 76 minutes saw Jamieson cross into the box, but McIntosh volleyed wide.


A late tackle by Smeaton on Turner just outside the Tranent box in 79 minutes gave Rose a free kick.  Brett took it and struck the outside of the post.


Some amusement in 81 minutes when a fan leant over an advertising banner to reach the ball which had gone out of play and ended up going right over the top of it.

A long ball into the Rose box in 83 minutes saw Paterson lift the ball over the head of Young, but he shot straight at Andrews.


Rose had a couple of half chances in the remaining minutes, including a Kidd effort in injury time which was well off target.

The destination of the trophy would be determined by penalties.

Tranent were up first and Paterson scored.  Kidd levelled for Bonnyrigg.  Miller scored for Tranent, but Brett saw his penalty saved.  As a Tranent boy, the Tranent fans, who had been winding him up all the way through the game, took great delight in his miss.


Murray tucked his penalty away before Jackson saved Jamieson’s kick.  Wojtowycz had the chance to win it for Tranent and he fired home successfully.


More scenes of celebration for the men from East Lothian and again, their fans made the most of it.  To win one cup was beyond their wildest dreams, but two was incredible.


Bonnyrigg ended the season empty handed despite some great achievements.

Tranent’s midfielders Hawkins and Smith both impressed, with co-manager Smith in particular very good.  Paterson and Fisher again looked a handful up front and their defence was once again very solid.  For Rose, Gray looked dangerous and Nelson used the ball well, but it wasn’t to be their day.

Full Time: Tranent Juniors 1 Bonnyrigg Rose 1 (Tranent win 4-1 on penalties).

Tranent Juniors: 1 Murray Jackson, 2 Alexander Christie, 3 Craig Wojtowycz, 4 Jamie Todd, 5 Guy Kerr, 6 Darren Smith (Fiddler 75), 7 Ben Miller, 8 Lewis Hawkins, 9 Kenny Fisher (Murray), 10 Kayne Paterson, 11 Stevie Manson (Watters 71). Subs:  12 Tom Watters, 14 Joe Murray, 15 Lloyd Fiddler, 16 Neil Smeaton, 17 Jamie Paterson.

Bonnyrigg Rose: 1 Michael Andrews, 2 Alan Horne (Brown 65), 3 Dean Brett, 4 Kerr Young, 5 Ewan Moyes, 6 Lewis Turner, 7 Scott Gray, 8 Wayne McIntosh, 9 Keiron McGachie (Jamieson 62), 10 Adam Nelson, 11 Andrew Kidd. Subs: 12 Johhny Brown, 14 Ross Archibald, 15 Sean Jamieson, 16 Johnny Stewart, 17 Dean Hoskins.

Referee: Scott Lambie