Sunday 28 May 2017, 14.00, Kings Park

The Scottish Women’s Premier League 2 game between Hearts Ladies and Jeanfield Swifts Ladies.

A quick rematch between the teams after Hearts Ladies won 2-0 at the same venue on 2 April.

Hearts form has been patchy since then and they would have been looking to get back on track after we saw them losing at Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale in their previous match.

Swifts haven’t been on a good run and they had lost three of the four games since that defeat to Hearts.  Losses to Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale, Buchan Ladies and a solitary win against East Fife Ladies saw Swifts sitting at the wrong end of the table.

In the opening minute, Reilly won the ball for Hearts and played to Miller.  Her cross into the box was headed over her own bar by Henderson.


Dunn played a good ball down the left for Swifts in 3 minutes to Fleming.  Her cross was met by McDonald, but her effort was off target.


A fine ball by Riley in 14 minutes into the path of Hutchison gave her a sight of goal.  She shot first time, but it went wide.

Swifts were getting a lot of territory in the opening minutes, really taking the game to the home side.

A cross by Hutchison in 17 minutes saw a ricochet in the Swifts box as the defence tried to clear.  The ball fell to Carse, but Cochrane was out quickly to block.


Carse nearly had a chance in 19 minutes when she blocked Tweedie’s attempt to clear, but the ball ran through to Cochran.

A good interception by Todd in 24 minutes saw her send McIntyre away down the left for Swifts.  She was being chased by Moultray, but Hunter got across to clear in the box.

A Jeanfield corner in 25 minutes saw McDonald down in the box with what looked like a head knock, and Carse was quick to put the ball out of play.  She was able to continue after treatment.


A good ball by Hunter over the head of Swifts’ Todd in 27 minutes saw Miller running into the box from the left.  She shot for goal, but hit the side netting.


In 30 minutes, Carse won the ball from Tweedie for Hearts, but the Swifts defender pulled the ball back with her hand and was booked.


A good pass up the left by Walkingshaw in 37 minutes saw Dodds look to cross into the middle, but it was blocked behind.

Foote was a bit late with a tackle on Hearts’ Hunter in 39 minutes, but it was the Swifts player who was hurt and needed treatment as Hearts were awarded a free kick.


Some good control by Carse on the edge of the Swifts box in 42 minutes created some space, but her shot was wide.

Great skill by Reilly on the left for Hearts in 43 minutes saw her go past two, but Swifts were hunting in packs and got the tackle in.

Still goalless at the break and Swifts had closed down very well in the first half.  It was a hot day and they had already put in a lot of work.

A half time sub for Swifts meant that Cowie moved from her midfield right berth in the first half to right back.

A slight delay to the start of the second half as the referee was nowhere to be seen.  There were ironic cheers when he finally appeared.  (This might have been just me.)

A long ball into the Swifts box in the opening minute of the second half by Walkingshaw saw Carse almost get to the ball in front of Cochran, but the keeper managed to get there.


A through ball by Jeanfield in 48 minutes was missed by Hunter and McIntyre was in behind the defence.  She turned away from Miller and with just the keeper to beat, she put her shot wide of goal.  Oddly, the linesman in the other half had his flag up and the ball went all the way back for a goal kick to Swifts.


Carse won the ball from a Swifts defender in 49 minutes and tried to lob Cochrane, but it was too high.

As Hearts came forward in 58 minutes, the referee blew for a foul when advantage would have better served the home side.  The Hearts bench was spoken to by the ref for complaining.

A fine ball by Hunter found Miller in 60 minutes and she passed to Carse, but her shot was over the Swifts bar.

Another Jeanfield sub saw Cowie back in midfield again.

Some good build up play by Hearts in 67 minutes ended with Miller’s cross being headed behind by Henderson.

Pagliarulo was booked in 68 minutes for bringing down McGinley as she broke through the Hearts defence.  McGinley took the free kick herself and hit a cracking strike which bent round the wall into the net to give Swifts the lead.


McGinley was causing problems for the Hearts rearguard again in 72 minutes when she won the ball from Moultray, who hauled her to the ground and was booked.


Walkingshaw had a go from a Hearts free kick from almost 30 yards in 76 minutes, but it drifted wide.


A Jeanfield through ball in 83 minutes saw McGinley racing through on goal.  She managed to beat the outrushing Watson to it, but her poke was wide of goal.


Walkingshaw had another go from a free kick from around 25 yards, but it was well over.

In the final minute, a Hearts free kick was played into the box by Walkingshaw but was missed by everyone in the box.


A poor result for Hearts who never seemed to get any fluidity in their play.  Hunter got top marks for her performance on the left side of the defence.  A fine win for Jeanfield who maintained their high workrate throughout and more than held their own with Todd at left back and Mclean in midfield particularly impressive, although there wasn’t really a poor performance from their players.

Not the greatest of games with little in the way of goalmouth incident, but certainly competitive.

Full Time: Hearts Ladies 0 Jeanfield Swifts Ladies 1

Admission: £3

Hearts Ladies: 1 Ashley Watson, 14 Lynsey Miller, 4 Louise Moultray, 16 Danni Pagliarulo, 5 Georgia Hunter, 17 Stacey Hutchison, 18 Katie Reilly, 9 Kara Kidd (Summers 75), 3 Chloe Shankie (Walkingshaw 34), 12 Jennifer Dodds (Anderson 59), 10 Ashley Carse. Subs: 6 Megan Paterson, 7 Rachel Walkingshaw, 11 Brogan Anderson, 19 Demi Summers, Gemma Piaskowski.

Jeanfield Swifts Ladies: 21 Roberta-Leigh Cochran, 14 Rebecca Foote (McGinley 45), 4 Rhianna Tweedie, 9 Amy Henderson, 12 Rachel Todd, 3 Ellie Cowie (Moss 77), 26 Laura Dunn, 25 Emma McLean, 27 Leah Fleming (Irvine 84), 18 Jade McDonald, 16 Eilidh McIntyre (Flynn-Scott 62).  Subs: 1 Megan Sidey, 2 Emma Flynn-Scott, 6 Danni McGinley, 8 Jen Rodgers, 11 Niamh Irvine, 20 Megan Moss.

Referee: Steven Wilson

Programme: None.