Wednesday 3 May 2017, 19.00, Albyn Park

East Superleague action between Broxburn Athletic and Bonnyrigg Rose.

A first sight of the season of Broxburn.

Formed in 1894, Broxburn Athletic amalgamated with Broxburn FC in 1912, but went under in 1924.  They reformed in 1948 and play on the same spot that Broxburn FC had used in 1889.

Broxburn have reached the Scottish Junior Cup Semi-final on 5 occasions, most recently in 1971.

They won the Lothian Region Division 2 title in 2004, but were relegated again the following season.  They were runners-up in Division 2 in 2005-06 before reorganisation, when they were placed in the East Region South Division.

The East Region South Division was secured in 2010 and they won promotion again in season 2011-12 to put them into the East’s top league where they have stayed since, with mid table finishes the norm.  Last season they were sixth in the 16 team league.

A top half finish is very much on the cards again.

Their ground was completely redeveloped in 2010 into a new community facility, including putting in a 3G pitch.

The last time we saw Bonnyrigg, they were being knocked out of the Junior Cup semi-final.  Since then, they’ve won their three league games, making it eight wins in a row in their battle to retain the East Superleague title.

Their runs in the Scottish and Junior Cups have given them a big headache in terms of fixtures and the game against Broxburn was their fifth game in nine days.  They’d won 2-0 at Fauldhouse two days before and again had Saturday, Monday, Wednesday then Saturday games to come after Broxburn.

There were around 220 in attendance.


Kidd won Rose won a corner straight from kick off, but it was headed clear.

There was a bit of a wild challenge by Turner in 9 minutes, but he didn’t make contact with anyone.  The referee was satisfied with just giving Broxburn a free kick.

Locke crossed into the Rose box in 10 minutes looking for Browne, but Andrews managed to claim the ball at the second attempt.

In 11 minutes, Brett’s cross saw Jamieson challenge Wallace, the Broxburn keeper for the ball in the air.  Wallace didn’t manage to collect the ball and the play continued for a few seconds before the referee decided there had been a foul on the keeper.


Donaldson’s ball to the back post in 19 minutes almost came to Brett, but Baptie managed to get a touch to take it away from the Rose player.

A Rose free kick in 22 minutes was curled at goal by Donaldson from 22 yards, but it lacked power and it was an easy save for Wallace.


Another Rose free kick level with the corner of the box on the right was taken by Donaldson in 24 minutes.  Paterson headed the ball over his own bar for a corner.  The corner resulted in a bit of head tennis in the Broxburn box and Hoskins went down injured in the area after appearing to fall awkwardly.

Hoskins was forced to go off with Donaldson reverting to his more usual left back slot after starting further forward.

With the defender still down at the side of the pitch, he attempted to walk off several minutes later with the assistance of two others and went down again.  A stretcher eventually appeared.


Miller was brought down by Moyes in 34 minutes and Anderson struck the free kick from 25 yards, but it went wide of the Rose goal.


With 36 minutes gone, McGachie played the ball to Jamieson in the Broxburn area and his shot was fantastically turned around the post by Wallace.  McGachie had been caught as he passed it and Rose had a claim for a penalty, but nothing was given.


Three minutes later, Rose’s Jamieson passed to McGachie who laid the ball off to Turner.  He struck a half volley from the edge of the box which Wallace smothered at the second attempt.

Stewart lofted the ball forward in 40 minutes and Paterson’s back header saw McGachie chase the ball into the Broxburn box where he was clattered by Wallace as he headed it forward.  The referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty.


Turner took it and hit it low to the corner, but Wallace made a great save to turn it away.


The teams were still level at the break.

Broxburn won a free kick at the start of the second half after Browne went down after a clash with Young who was limping heavily after the challenge.  Anderson’s free kick was caught by Andrews.


Miller got to the Rose by-line in 48 minutes but his ball into the middle was taken well low down by Andrews.

Up the other end a minute later Brett’s ball into the box came to Jamieson, but he could only hit the side netting.


The Rose bench was unhappy with a referee decision in 52 minutes when a foul was given for handball.  The player had his back to the ref and the linesman gave nothing.

McIntosh shot for goal in 55 minutes from around 22 yards, but it was over the Broxburn bar.

In 58 minutes, a good pass by Linton found Locke on the edge of the Rose box, but his shot was held by Andrews.

Anderson took a Broxburn corner in 63 minutes which was met by the head of Cole and the ball came crashing off the bar before it spun behind.


A good run down the right by Brett for Rose in 65 minutes saw him play the ball inside for McGachie.  He turned Purves and shot for goal and McIntosh tapped the ball home from close range.  The flag went up for offside.  It was unclear from where I was if the ball had been going in anyway.


Kidd took a Rose corner in 67 minutes and McGachie nipped in in front of Wallace, but his header went over.


Broxburn broke forward in 70 minutes and Locke ran from deep in his own half, beating three players before striking high into the net from the edge of the box.  A cracking goal and very well struck shot, although the ball seemed to almost go through the hands of Andrews.


Anderson had a shot at the Rose goal in 72 minutes and it took a strange high bounce and Andrews did well to get a hand to it to turn it wide.


Broxburn’s Paterson was booked in 73 minutes for persistent fouling.

Broxburn broke quickly in 74 minutes and Miller played the ball through to Locke and only a fine saving tackle by Brett prevented him from being clean through on goal.

In 81 minutes, McIntosh’s throw-in was headed backwards into his own box by Broxburn’s Cole and Baptie completely miskicked the ball over his own bar.  Incredibly, the referee gave a goal kick.

Locke was brought down in 82 minutes by Young who was shown the yellow card.

Broxburn’s Locke and Anderson both limped off in the remaining minutes.

Gribben was booked in 88 minutes, just after coming on.

Rose were unable to fashion another chance.

A fine performance from Broxburn who fought for everything.  Rose playing three games a week seems to be catching up with them and they looked jaded.

Wallace was outstanding in goal for Broxburn and Baptie performed well at left back, with Linton and Scott using the ball well in midfield.  For Rose, Brett had a good game at right back and Jamieson worked hard up front.

Full Time: Broxburn Athletic 1 Bonnyrigg Rose 0

Admission: £6

Broxburn Athletic: 1 Connor Wallace, 2 Darren Cole, 3 Ryan Baptie, 4 Craig Purves, 5 Frazer Paterson, 6 Michael Linton, 7 Nicholas Locke (Gribben 87), 8 Craig Scott, 9 Alexander Miller, 10 Michael Browne, 12 Keiran Anderson (Donnelly-Kay 89). Subs: 11 Darren Gribben, 14 Nathan Donnelly-Kay, 15 Darren Downie, 16 Ross Nimmo, 17 Scott McNaughton.

Bonnyrigg Rose: 1 Michael Andrews, 2 Dean Brett, 3 Dean Hoskins (McIntosh 26), 4 Kerr Young, 5 Ewan Moyes, 6 Jonathan Stewart, 7 Lewis Turner, 8 Sean Jamieson (Gray 73), 9 Kieran McGachie, 10 Andrew Kidd, 11 Ruaridh Donaldson. Subs: 12 Alan Horne, 14 Scott Gray, 15 Adam Nelson, 16 Jordan Orru, 17 Wayne McIntosh.

Referee: George Calder

Programme: £1.