Sunday 2 April 2017, 14.00, Kings Park

Scottish Women’s Premier League 2 action between Hearts Ladies and Jeanfield Swifts Ladies.

Hearts Ladies followed up their opening day win against Buchan with a win at East Fife and sit joint top of the table after two games.  They were without captain Megan Paterson and midfielder Katie Reilly.  The absence of the former meant it would be a quieter afternoon than usual at Kings Park.

After two promotions in three seasons, last season saw Jeanfield Swifts Ladies finish in a creditable fifth place in their first season in SWPL2.  They have made a number of signings for the new season with defenders Amy Henderson and Jodie Morris and midfielder Laura Dunn joining the club.  They began the new season with an impressive 3-0 win at Motherwell and only lost by a goal against title favourites Forfar Farmington in their opening two league games.

The Perth based side have a deal with St Johnstone which allows them to play their home games at the Premiership side’s ground.

Hearts won the games between the sides in last season’s league programme.

Although the advertised kick off time was 2.00, it didn’t actually kick off until 2.17.  Hibs Ladies Lisa Robertson was in attendance and several players from Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale were also watching on.

In the third minute, McGinley received the ball on the edge of the Hearts area from Foote, but she dragged her shot wide under pressure from Moultray.


Swifts had started well and Tweedie’s ball across the face of the Hearts goal in 8 minutes was just too far in front of McGinley.

Hearts first real attack came in 12 minutes, when McAlonie released Miller down the right.  She put a great ball into the box, but the defence managed to clear.


A minute later Hearts a great opportunity.  Kidd found herself through on goal and took it past McIlravey-Davidson.  She chased the ball in and saw her effort hit the post, bounce back and hit her before it trickled wide.


A fine ball through the Swifts defence by Miller in 17 minutes had Kidd through on goal again, but the flag was up as she saw her shot saved by the keeper.

Moultray picked out Carse on the left from a Hearts free kick in 25 minutes.  She tried to curl the ball in to the far corner, but her shot was deflected wide.


A mistake by Swifts’ Tweedie in 27 minutes gave Kidd an opportunity on the right, but her ball into the box was smothered by McIlravey-Davidson.

In 30 minutes McIntyre played the ball wide to Cowie whose cross from the by-line was well taken by Watson in the Hearts goal.

Carse made a promising run down the left for Hearts in 31 minutes and went past a couple of challenges before winning a corner which came to nothing.

In 38 minutes Dunn had a drive at the Hearts goal from the edge of the box, but she screwed it wide.

A fine strike from Swifts’ Todd in 40 minutes from around 20 yards was just wide of the post.


In first half injury time Hughes made a lung bursting run up the left for Hearts before she was fouled by Cowie.  McAlonie took the free kick from near the corner flag.  The ball picked out Hutchison whose volley went into the net via the post despite the best efforts of Mcllravey-Davidson.  The half time whistle blew as soon as Swifts restarted.


A particularly cagey first half which Swifts probably edged without really troubling Watson.  Hearts had chances and Hutchison made no mistake when hers came.

In 48 minutes McGinley played the ball over the top of the Hearts defence for McIntyre, but the flag went up for offside.  She looked on to me.

Hearts put together a decent move in 59 minutes with Carse passing to Kidd on the right.  She cut the ball back into the box for Hutchison who took a touch before curling just wide.


McGinley put a good cross into the back post of Hearts’ box in 62 minutes to pick out Cowie who shot for goal first time, but Hughes was there to block.

With 70 minutes gone, Carse produced some good skill on the left before passing to Kidd.  She returned the ball to Carse who curled a shot into the top corner for Hearts second.  A great finish.


McIntyre took a good touch in 73 minutes before shooting at the Hearts goal from 23 yards, but it went narrowly wide.

Pagliarulo found Walkingshaw on the left in 78 minutes as Hearts came forward and her cross looking for Dodds was headed over her own bar by Henderson.

The final action came after the 90 minute mark when McAlonie’s free kick into the Swifts box fell to the feet of Summers who smashed the ball off the underside of the bar before the defence cleared.


A good win for Hearts who improved in the second half, but there wasn’t much between the teams.  Some decent players on both sides with Carse and McAlonie showing good skills for Hearts and Dunn and McGinley doing a similar job for Swifts.  Hughes was excellent at left back for Hearts and Morris had a fine game in central defence for Swifts.

Full Time: Hearts Ladies 2 Jeanfield Swifts Ladies 0

Admission: £3

Hearts Ladies: 1 Ashley Watson, 14 Lynsey Miller, 4 Louise Moultray, 5 Georgia Hunter, 3 Sharon Hughes, 16 Danni Pagliarulo, 12 Michaela McAlonie, 17 Stacey Hutchison (Summers 86), 8 Lauren Hall (Anderson 67), 10 Ashley Carse (Walkingshaw 76), 9 Kara Kidd (Dodds 74). Subs: 7 Rachel Walkingshaw, 11 Brogan Anderson, 15 Jennifer Dodds, 19 Demi Summers.

Jeanfield Swifts Ladies: 1 Corrie Mcllravey-Davidson, 14 Rebecca Foote, 9 Amy Henderson, 13 Jodie Morris (Moss 74), 4 Rhianna Tweedie, 3 Ellie Cowie (Flynn-Scott 67), 18 Jade McDonald, 26 Laura Dunn (Irvine 76), 12 Rachel Todd (Fleming 53), 16 Eilidh McIntyre, 6 Danni McGinley. Subs: 11 Niamh Irvine, 20 Megan Moss, 21 Bobby Cochran, 22 Leah Fleming, 27 Emma Flynn-Scott.

Referee: Kirsty Morgan

Programme: None.