Saturday 1 October 2016, 15.00, New Dundas Park

The Scottish Cup first round replay between East Superleague side Bonnyrigg Rose and Turriff United of the Highland League.

A third trip of the season to New Dundas Park to see Bonnyrigg Rose.  Since their opening day defeat at home to Kelty Hearts, they’ve won 7 league games on the trot.  In the preliminary rounds of the Scottish Cup they’ve beaten Glasgow University away 8-2 and Burntisland Shipyard 14-0 at home.  A 100% record since opening day until facing Turriff United in the first round proper of the Scottish Cup.  The long trip north saw them grab a 1-1 draw, so the replay was to go ahead the following Saturday.

Turriff United currently play at the Haughs, next to the river in the town of Turriff in Aberdeenshire.  They ply their trade in the Highland League which they joined in season 2009-10.  They had previously been a Junior Football Association club, playing in the Scottish North Premier League.

The club finished in second place in 2014-15, but dropped back to fourth last season.  In their seven league games so far this season, they have won 3 and lost 4.  They also faced Championship side Hibernian at the Haughs in the newly revamped Challenge Cup for teams outwith the top Division and certainly didn’t disgrace themselves with a 3-0 loss.

They made their Scottish Cup debut in 2012 and made it to the fourth round before being knocked out by Greenock Morton in a replay.  They’ve yet to lose before the second round in the competition.

A bumper crowd in attendance, reported as 675.


There was a minute’s silence before kick-off for Billy Durie, the manager of Bonnyrigg’s first Junior Cup winning side of 1966.  He was also a coach and physio at the club before going home and away to watch the team until he passed away the week before.  A fitting tribute to a club legend.

Turner won Rose a corner in the fifth minute which was headed behind for a second one.  Nelson’s delivery was pushed away by Main and then returned into the box by Hoskins.  The ball fell to McGachie whose shot from close range was very well saved by Main.


There were home shouts for a penalty in 10 minutes when the ball seemed to come off a defender’s hand, before the ball was played back by Jamieson to Turner on the edge of the box, but he shot over.


Horne was almost caught on the edge of his own box in 11 minutes as he was closed down by a Turriff forward and took an extra touch, but he managed to just toe it away from danger.

Gray got the ball on the edge of the Rose box in 12 minutes and tried a shot, but he was off balance and it went wide of the goal.


Good chasing by Jamieson in 13 minutes won Bonnyrigg a corner as he outmuscled Herd.  Kidd played the corner short to Nelson whose cross was powered into the net by the head of Hoskins, who had jumped in front of Main in the Turriff goal.


There seemed to be a few niggles on the pitch, which may have been the result of some animosity from the first game the week before.

McGachie took the ball into the Turriff box in 17 minutes and went down under the challenge of Bowden, but nothing was given by the referee.

In 20 minutes, Young did well to read Turner’s pass and broke forward for Turriff.  He played the ball to Gray, who laid it off to Kleczkowski, but Donaldson stepped in to clear.

After Turner had been brought down by Herd in 27 minutes, Turner played the free kick into the Turriff box and Young met it with a powerful header.  The ball was flying into the far corner but Main dived full length to turn the ball around the post.  Another great save.

A long ball into the box by Turriff’s Herd in 32 minutes saw Gray run between two defenders, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

Allan’s corner in 34 minutes gave Wood a sight of the Bonnyrigg goal, but his volley sailed high over the bar.

Gray broke down the right for Turriff in 37 minutes, but with Booth free at the back post, he couldn’t get his cross over under pressure from a defender.

Bonnyrigg came forward in 42 minutes with Turner on the right whose cross was cleared by Young to the edge of the box where Nelson shot for goal, but Main was there again to save the low shot.

Just before half time Wood tried a shot from long range which took a slight deflection, but was still central enough to make it a comfortable save for Andrews in the Bonnyrigg goal.

A relatively even first half on the balance of play, although Rose could have been further in front were it not for Main’s reactions in the Turriff goal.

A Turriff cross into the box in the opening minute of the second half fell to the feet of Kleczkowski, but he stabbed his shot wide.

Nelson took a Bonnyrigg free kick in 54 minutes and picked out the head of Hoskins and he was inches wide of the far post with his effort.


In 56 minutes, Davidson crossed into the Rose box and the ball came all the way to Herd at the back post, but he lashed over the bar.

McGachie found space in the box for Bonnyrigg in 59 minutes and with men better placed, he went for goal.  The ball went across the face of the goal and came to Jamieson.  Remarkably, he tried the same thing and the ball ended up at the feet of McGachie again, who tapped the ball in to double the lead.


Bonnyrigg attacked again in 64 minutes and McGachie headed the ball to Jamieson, who headed it back to him, but Main managed to save the striker’s effort.

Jamieson broke down the left for Bonnyrigg in 70 minutes and squared the ball to McLaren for a tap in to make it three nil.


In 79 minutes, C Booth went down the right and crossed into the Rose box and found fellow sub Smith, who headed the ball down and into the net to give Turriff some late hope.


Two minutes later, Turner got the ball on the left from McLaren and looked to play it back to him in the box, but he didn’t hit it hard enough and a defender intercepted.  Turner chased the ball and won it back on the touchline.  He sprinted to the by-line and played the ball across the face of goal where McIntosh had a simple finish to make it 4-1.


Turriff keeper Main needed treatment in 82 minutes and got a bandage on his thigh before continuing.

Rose safely saw out the remaining minutes to go through to the next round and another home tie against Highland League opposition with Cove Rangers coming to Midlothian.

For Bonnyrigg, Nelson’s deliveries caused a lot of problems for Turriff and they looked very solid at the back.  Turriff’s Young looked good in his midfield role and Main was impressive in goals.  The main difference between the sides was up front, where Rose were clinical.

Full time: Bonnyrigg Rose 4 Turriff United 1

Admission: £8

Bonnyrigg Rose: 1 Michael Andrews, 2 Alan Horne, 3 Ruaridh Donaldson, 4 Kerr Young, 5 Dean Hoskins, 6 Jonathan Stewart, 7 Sean Jamieson (Moyes 82), 8 Lewis Turner, 9 Keiran McGachie (McIntosh 65), 10 Adam Nelson (McLaren 65), 11 Andrew Kidd.  Subs: 12 Ewan Moyes, 14 Scott Gray, 15 Fraser McLaren, 16 Wayne McIntosh, GK Dylan Rooney.

Turriff United: 1 Kevin Main, 2 Lewis Davidson, 3 Christopher Herd, 4 Darren Wood, 5 Cameron Bowden, 6 James Chalmers, 7 Nicholas Gray (Nowosielski 73), 8 Paul Young, 9 Andrzej Kleczkowski (C Booth), 10 David Booth, 11 Robert Allan (Smith).  Subs: 12 Cameron Booth, 14 Leszek Nowosielski, 15 Antonio Vastano, 16 Andrew Smith, 17 Scott Moir, 18 Kenneth Mair, GK Aaron Sherman.

Referee: Scott Lambie

Programme: £2