Saturday 17 September 2016, 14.30, Carmuirs Park

The East Superleague clash between Camelon Juniors and Carnoustie Panmure.

It’s only my second ever visit to Carmuirs Park and it’s a ground with character.  There is an interesting looking structure behind one of the goals which looks to be in a garden in one of the surrounding houses.  It looks like an old school TV gantry and there are two people in it who seem to be drinking from cans of beer.  The perfect spot to watch the game.  It is a pretty big place, with capacity suggested to be 3,000.  There are around 110 here today.  It reminds me more of grounds from the West Superleague than the East, and is in the middle of a housing estate, next to the Union Canal.


Since seeing Camelon lose narrowly at Bonnyrigg in August, they’ve beaten Fauldhouse at home and lost heavily at Jeanfield Swifts.  They currently sit in tenth place in the 16 team league.

Carnoustie Panmure were formed in 1936, and are nicknamed the Gowfers due to the town’s well-established links to the sport of golf (“gowf” in Scots). They were established following the dissolution of Carnoustie Juveniles.

They began on a park beside the old Slaughterhouse in Carnoustie, which is now council houses.   They moved in 1948 to Westfield Park where they stayed until 2004, when they moved into their current home, Laing Park.

After investment in the 1990s, the club reached their first Junior Cup Final in 2001, where they lost in the final, but returned to win it in 2004.

The Gowfers have been in the East Superleague since season 2011-12 and finished in 12th place last season.  They haven’t had a good start to the season and are without a point so far.  Home defeats to Newtongrange Star, Broughty Athletic, Broxburn Athletic and Penicuik Athletic and away defeats at Lochee United, Bo’ness United and Kelty Hearts mean that wins are already required, and quickly, to start getting them up the league.

Panmure have added Declan Milne, a forward, and Adam Harwood, a defender, on loan from Montrose.  They’ve also taken Liam Gibb on loan from Dundee.

A high challenge by Camelon’s Herron in 7 minutes saw him pick up an early booking after leaving Gray in a heap.

A Panmure ball into the box in 8 minutes was sliced just wide of his own goal by Bell.

Camelon looked to have a chance in 13 minutes when Bolam played the ball through to Sneddon, but the flag was up.

In 14 minutes, Panmure got a free kick around 22 yards from goal.  McIlravey stepped up and sent a curling shot into the net with Robertson rooted to the spot to give the away side the lead.


From the restart, Camelon charged forward and Donaldson’s cross from the left was acrobatically volleyed goalwards by Sneddon, but it went just wide.

Buggins put a fantastic curling ball behind the Camelon defence in 19 minutes for McCabe, who tried to volley in, but the flag was up for offside.

There was a great chance for Camelon in 22 minutes when Sneddon picked out Donaldson in the middle of the box, but he somehow headed wide.

In the next minute, McIlravey squared the ball to Gray on the edge of the Camelon box, but his shot was deflected and Robertson saved comfortably.

Bolam came forward for Panmure in 25 minutes and cut in from the right before shooting for goal.  His effort came off the post and was half cleared by the defence.  The ball arrived at the feet of McIlravey on the edge of the box and he curled it in for his and his team’s second.


Some nice football by Panmure in 30 minutes ended with McIlravey receiving the ball on the left and running at the defence, but his shot was saved by Robertson.

In 32 minutes, Herd found Sneddon in the box.  He struck his shot well, but Robbie in the Panmure goal blocked the effort.

Smith played the ball through to Urquhart as Panmure came forward again in 34 minutes and he stopped, looked across at the linesman to see if he was offside, turned back and pointed at a defender playing him on, looked at the linesman again, then still had time to run forward and slot past the keeper to make it 3-0.


With two minutes to half time, Panmure’s Smith got a sore one after a 50/50 challenge with Devlin, who looked as if he might have been slightly late and picked up a yellow card.

An amazing first half from Panmure, who certainly didn’t look like a team without a point in the league.  A couple of their fans nearby were saying it was the best they had seen them play.

In 47 minutes, Urquhart went down the right for Panmure and had McCabe free in the middle, but a defender managed to block his ball across.

A corner for Panmure in 52 minutes taken by McIlravey found the head of Buggins in the box, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

There looked to be a trip on a Camelon player in the Panmure box in 60 minutes, but the referee waved away appeals.


The ball bounce around in the Panmure box in 64 minutes before Herd fired over.

McIlravey picked up the ball on the left in 73 minutes and curled just wide of the far post of the Camelon goal.


Taylor put a free kick into the Panmure box in 75 minutes which found the head of Bell, but he headed over.

Camelon came forward in 76 minutes and Devlin played the ball through to Donaldson who was one on one with the keeper.  Robbie blocked his shot, but it came back to Donaldson and he squared it to Sneddon who put the ball into the net past the despairing defender on the line to give the home side a lifeline.


In 80 minutes, Camelon attacked again and Donaldson laid the ball off to Walton on the edge of the box, but his shot was just too high.

Donaldson came down the right for Camelon in 84 minutes and his cross to the back post found Walton whose volley flew a couple of feet over the bar.

Bell chased a through ball for Camelon as the clock went past 90 minutes and got to the ball just before Robbie and was caught by the keeper, who received a yellow card.  Panmure claimed it was outside the box and it was certainly very close either way.


Gibb seemed to be trying to delay the penalty by tying his lace in the box.  Bell took the penalty himself and hammered the ball in.


Deep into injury time, Camleon still hadn’t given up hope of grabbing an unlikely draw and Herd’s cross from the right was headed behind by Gibb for a corner.  Walton’s corner was headed goalwards by Bell and Robbie got fingertips to it and it came back off the bar.  Sneddon was first to react, but under pressure, he couldn’t divert the ball away from the keeper, although Sneddon claimed he was fouled.


The drama still wasn’t over as Robbie needed treatment and the game restarted with a bounce up inside Panmure’s box.  They managed to survive though and were delighted to hear the final whistle.


The proverbial game of two halves with Panmure looking out of sight at half time and Camelon almost snatching a draw at the end.  The men from Carnoustie looked very good in the first half and McIlravey was outstanding.  Roche and Millar defended very well in the second half to preserve the lead.  Credit to Camelon who never gave up, despite how bad the first half had been for them.  Donaldson was instrumental in hauling them back into the game.

An entertaining game and there looks to be enough in both sides to think they can climb the table.

Apologies to Scott Taylor of Camelon as I didn’t see him come on.  Thanks to @PanmureLive for furnishing me with their team.  If anyone knows how to get Camelon to respond to tweets, please let me know!

Full Time: Camelon Juniors 2 Carnoustie Panmure 3

Admission: £6

Camelon Juniors: 1 Sean Robertson, 2 David Mitchell, 3 Jordan Devlin, 4 Don Morrison, 5 Stuart Bell, 6 Jordan Herron (Herd 29), 7 Jason Bolam (Walton 54), 8 Andy Kay, 9 Alan Sneddon, 10 Craig Donaldson, 11 David O’Brien.  Subs: 12 Eamonn Fullarton, 14 Gordon Herd, 15 Colin Allison, 16 Scott Taylor, 17 Jason Walton.

Carnoustie Panmure: 1 Jamie Robbie, 2 Ewan Buggins, 3 Gordon MacDonald, 4 Ryan Roche (Gibb 90), 5 Danny Millar, 6 Luke McGeehan, 7 Pat Smith, 8 Scott Gray (Scott 81), 9 Jamie McCabe, 10 Robert Urquhart (Simpson 70), 11 Michel McIlravey.  Subs: 12 Liam Gibb, 14 Liam Scott, 15 Sam Simpson, 16 John Black, 17 Alan Cormack.

Referee: Stewart Luke

Programme: None.