Sunday 24 July 2016, 15.00, Pennypit Park

Game number two of the day in the Preston Tournament and it’s the final between Arniston Rangers and Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare.

Arniston Rangers are a Scottish junior club, based in the town of Gorebridge. They currently play in the East Region Premier League.  They were formed in 1878 and play their home games at Newbyres Park.

They reached the Junior Cup Final in 1922-23 where they lost to Musselburgh Bruntonians by three goals to nil.  They have also reached the semi-final three times, most recently in 1953.

The club disappeared in 1926-27 before reappearing the next season and were forced to disband in 1930, before returning in 1933.

They have added Mikey Langdale and Michael Deland to the squad for the new season.

Easthouses Lily FC was originally formed in 1950 and competed in the East Region Junior leagues. Low attendance saw the Club fold until 1969 when a group of local friends reformed the current Club. They began life as members of the Scottish Welfare Football Association. They joined the East of Scotland Football Association in 1981.

They changed their name to Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare Football Club in 1989 and won three First Division Championships before the Premier Division in 1991/92.

Easthouses left the East of Scotland League at the end of the 2014–15 season to join the Scottish Junior Football Association, East Region. Plying their trade in the East Region South League, one Division below today’s opponents, they were due to play Arniston in a friendly in the following midweek, but this was cancelled due to them both reaching the final of the Preston Tournament.

During the 3rd place play off, the Easthouses Lily team were sitting behind us and we discovered that one of the team had sent texts to other team members saying that the manager had told them to turn up dressed smartly.  This, of course, wasn’t true and as more of their team mates arrived, it became clear that some had believed this as some shirts and ties started to appear.  One player had yet to arrive and it seemed he was having to “go to Tesco” to get some trousers as he didn’t have any and only had £20 left until payday.  As the game progressed, the team went down to the dressing rooms below the stand.  We spotted a young lad coming in with what looked like new trousers and go towards the dressing room.  A minute later, a big cheer came from under the stand.

A collision after four minutes saw Arniston’s Brady and Easthouses’ McDermott both down.  Preston Athletic physio Jimmy Hadden treated the Easthouses player, which was the third team of the day he had treated after his own club and Cowdenbeath in the day’s first game.  I hope he got a bonus.


The first real chance of the game came in 12 minutes when Lily’s Young had a sight of goal, but keeper Deland blocked with his feet.

Arniston came forward in 26 minutes and Kataleza played the ball wide to Moffat whose cross into the middle was well defended by Lily.

The same combination a minute later and this time Moffat’s cross was met by the head of McTernan, but his downward header went wide.


In 33 minutes, Easthouses’ Russell passed to Young on the right and his well hit shot was parried by Deland.

A great piece of skill by Arniston’s Deland on the right in 38 minutes before his cross into the box was slightly overhit.  Moffat picked up the ball on the other flank and his ball into the middle was acrobatically volleyed in by Thomson to give Arniston the lead.


Two minutes later, it was 2-0.  Kataleza was brought down about 22 yards from goal and Moffat stepped up and sent the free kick flying into the net with Hay rooted to the spot.


In 47 minutes, Watson came forward and played the ball to Thomson who had a go from just outside the box and Hay did well to push the shot away.

From the corner, Lily broke away and Young played the ball through to Russell.  He ran on, but shot straight at Deland.


Moffat’s corner in 67 minutes found Deland at the back post for Arniston, but the unchallenged left back headed over the bar.


Arniston’s Finlayson went down the left in 76 minutes and cut the ball back for McTernan, but his first tie effort went wide of the post.

Finlayson came forward again for Arniston in 78 minutes and went for goal from 25 yards.  Hay stuck out a foot and managed to deflect the ball over the bar.  Moffat’s corner again found the head of Deland, but he again couldn’t keep it down.


A great first time ball to the back post by Moffat in 80 minutes picked out Finlayson who hammered home on the volley off the underside of the bar to make it three for Arniston.


A convincing victory in the end, but Easthouses Lily battled gamely and weren’t outclassed.  Arniston look in fine form for the new season.

Campbell was good at centre half for Lily and Shaun Moffat impressed at right back when he came on.  Thomson and Michael Deland best for Arniston.

Arniston Rangers won the trophy.


Full Time: Arniston Rangers 3 Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare 0

Admission: £5 (which included both games)

Arniston Rangers: 1 Deland, 2 Watson, 3 Michael Deland, 4 Declan Brady (14 87), 5 David Jeffrey, 6 Darren McTernan, 7 Ross Pullen (16 87), 8 Thomson (15 70), 9 Kevin Moffat, 10 Lumbert Kataleza (McCaul 87), 11 Kyle Doig (Finlayson 75).  Subs: 12 Richie McCaul, 17 Scott Finlayson.

Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare: 1 Steven Hay, 2 Steven Campbell (Tainsh 81), 3 Ross McManus (Moffat 52), 4 Liam Hall, 5 David Arthur, 6 Gary Shearer (Glodek 52), 7 Steven Barrie (Ferguson 52), 8 Paul McDermott (Baigrie 68), 9 Lewis Russell, 10 Danny Watson, 11 Graeme Young.  Subs: 12 Steven Ferguson, 14 Shaun Moffat, 15 John Baigrie, 16 James Glodek, 17 Gavin Tainsh.

Referee: George Calder

Programme: None.